Kilby Speaks on Ade Departure
Burnley chairman Barry Kilby has spoken on the decision to accept an improved bid for Ade Akinbiyi.
The new fee is £1.75 million, and will see the striker finally join the Blades, after snubbing them this time last year.
Kilby told the Clarets official website: ''The offer we had was too good to miss for us,' he said.
'The big plus from the deal is that we now have money to recycle and strengthen the squad with.
'The vast majority of the money will be available to the manager for both fees and wages.
'We have several targets in place and we hope to try and bring them all in before the deadline.'
This will provide Clarets boss Steve Cotterill with funds to sign targets before the transfer window closes on January 31.
Akinbiyi has been a fan favourite at Turf Moor since his £600,000 signing from Stoke City a year ago, but the fee, particularly for someone of his age is too good to turn down, meaning that the Clarets can now strengthen the team, and get their playoff challenge back on track.
Some money will also be used for the youth system, which has brought through the likes of Richard Chaplow, Chris McCann and Kyle Lafferty to the first team picture.
'We will now be working on bringing in the players that the manager has targeted.'
The next week or so promises to be busy for the Clarets, as the window nears its end.