Safe Standing Campaign Update
It is amazing what a few days can do once you get the Campaigning spirit. Here is a chronology of events:
1. 17.11.06: TMP spots an article on Supporters Direct from Steven Powell citing Phil Gatenby of the FSF requesting that we lobby our local MPs to sign an Early Day Motion [EDM] from Mike Hancock MP. Mike had put down an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons calling for the introduction of safe standing areas.
2. 17.11.06: TMP raises awareness of this campaign to Burnley fans via 'The Longside' messageboard asking folk to contact their MP and especially Kitty Ussher,local MP for Burnley
3. 17.11.06: TMP discusses campaign with Burnley Ultras representatives Jonas Brown and Kev Robinson. They instantly want to help support this campaign
4. 18.11.06: Burnley Ultras launch their campaign and put up articles on the Ultras website. A StandUpSitDown representative immediately joins the site and further discussions are underway.
5. 20.11.06: Jonas Brown informs Clarets Mad since the website doesnt appear to have picked up the campaign details and they start their own campaign
6. 20.11.06: TMP ensures all other Burnley websites including Vital Burnley FC and Up the Clarets are aware of this initiative
Although of course, we cant take credit for all the 19 MPs signed up and all the signatures on the StandUpSitDown petition,our campaign has significantly enhanced awareness amongst the Burnley fans and Kitty Ussher has been approached by many and we await her response. One local MP, Greg Pope for Hyndburn, although initially reluctant has now signed the EDM after further lobbying by the fans
Things are moving forward rapidly and we would like to thank everyone for their help whether you are Clarets or Rivals. If you havent yet done so please lobby your MP to sign the EDM and sign the petition as per the details provided in the earlier article