Date:Monday April 30 2012
Clarets fans hearts missed a beat in midweek following news that Newcastle were reportedly interested in signing right back, Kieran Trippier.
Trippier has been a sensational hit with Clarets fans this season. Initially arriving on a season-long loan from Manchester City last summer, he put pen to paper and signed a permanent deal in the January transfer window for a undisclosed fee.
The deal was for three-and-a-half years and in theory would keep the England Under 21 international at the club until the summer of 2015.
The affection Clarets fans have for the 21 year old was adequately demonstrated at the recent Supporters Clubs Player of the Year Awards Night in which he picked up most of the accolades. He edged out Jay Rodriguez by picking up four awards to Jay Rod's three to become the overall winner.
It was pretty devastating then to learn the same week that Trippier had been catching the eye of a Premier League club.
Newcastle gaffer, Alan Pardew was reportedly monitoring the defender while the Magpies awaited a decision on Danny Simpson`s new contract offer. It is understood Simpson has been stalling over the offer. By all accounts though, Trippier has been on Newcastle`s radar for about 18 months now and they were interested in the player whilst he was playing for Barnsley on loan and still on Manchester City's books. Pardew was also on a scouting mission at Middlesbrough in January when Burnley came away with a 2-0 victory.
If the rumours are true, the chances of Trippier ending up at St James Park could depend on Simpson's decision. Even if Simpson does sign a new deal, Pardew could still be in the market for a right back.
Should Simpson refuse however, then Newcastle look likely to cash in on the former Manchester United and Blackburn Rovers defender who has just one year of his contract remaining. If that becomes the situation, it looks like Pardew might then target two right backs with one also capable of playing in the centre of defence.
Although Trippier wears his Claret heart on his sleeve, a move to Newcastle could prove to be too tempting and his loss would be a major blow to Eddie Howe's plans and the fans optimism for next season.
Howe said recently:
"I think it`s going to be our biggest battle to try to keep the squad together."
Most Clarets fans thought he had Jay Rodriguez in mind when he said that but to also lose Trippier would be unthinkable. Not only would we lose our best defender and attacking full-back in many a season but we would also need to find a replacement. In fact to be honest we don't really have right back cover in the current squad either without playing defenders out of position so in effect we would probably need two right backs.
We simply have to hope nothing comes of this rumour although it does seem to have some substance behind it which is somewhat worrying.
Date:Monday April 30 2012
Ings Wants Playing Guarantee (Sunday April 19 2015)
Spirited Display Pleases Heaton (Sunday April 19 2015)
Dyche Gives Everton Response (Sunday April 19 2015)
Everton 1-0 Burnley - Prem (Sunday April 19 2015)
Audio - Dyche On Everton Loss (Saturday April 18 2015)
Stats: Everton v Burnley (Saturday April 18 2015)
Vokes - We're Confident Ahead Of Everton (Friday April 17 2015)
Dyche's Unwavering Survival Belief (Friday April 17 2015)
Everton v Burnley - Team News (Friday April 17 2015)
The Burnley Injury Table - Walking Wounded List! (Friday April 17 2015)
|15. Aston Villa||33||8||8||17||-21||32|
|17. Hull City||32||6||10||16||-16||28|
|18. Leicester City||32||7||7||18||-17||28|
|Carver - We're In A Relegation Battle
» Newcastle : 19/04/2015 20:00:00
|Ashley's Made Newcastle Boring
» Newcastle : 19/04/2015 19:52:01
|Delph On Wembley Skipper Honour
» Aston Villa : 19/04/2015 19:31:01
|Baker Out For The Campaign
» Aston Villa : 19/04/2015 19:25:00
|Sherwood Elated With Liverpool Win
» Aston Villa : 19/04/2015 19:20:01