We bring you our regular catch-up feature of some little snippets of Clarets news that may have passed you by last week. It was a good week for Rodriguez, McCann and the Youth team as you can see below.
Jay Rodriguez Agrees New Contract
Our new England Under 21 international, striker Jay Rodriguez has had a hectic season so far but this week he put the icing on the cake for Clarets fans by agreeing a new two-year deal. The in-form striker has been negotiating for some months both under former gaffer, Brian Laws and current boss, Eddie Howe but now a deal has finally been sorted out.
With his current contract due to expire in the summer, the 21-year-old striker penned a two-year deal that will keep him at Turf Moor until June 2013.
Jay Rod has established himself in the first team this season becoming a regular choice in the starting eleven playing either as a striker or a wider role. He has already scored 10 goals in all competitions this season and he is currently our third top scorer behind joint leading scorers, Chris Iwelumo and Chris Eagles on eleven goals. Rodriguez was also handed his England U21 debut by Stuart Pearce in a friendly date with Italy in February.
'There was never any doubt in me signing. It's a great club to be at,' he said
'It's brought me along as a player massively and I think it still can in the future.
'It's been a great season so far and I've still got a lot more to do. This season has been brilliant and I just hope it continues.
'This season has gone better than I ever would have wished. All the awards, being called up to the U21s, it's been unbelievable.
'But I know I've got to improve and if I don't, all those things won't have meant anything. I've just got to work hard and see where that takes me.'
Well done Jay Rod from all at Vital Burnley
Chris McCann targets Reserves game at end of month
It has been a torrid time for midfielder, Chris McCann these past two seasons but now at long last a return looks on the cards after being out of the limelight for eighteen months due to injury and illness.
The good news is that McCann has now returned to full training after recovering from reconstructive knee surgery and a recent health scare.
The midfielder has been sidelined since the summer following an operation to repair his cruciate ligament and if that was not enough he then began to suffer from persistent migraines that last month required head surgery to remove excess fluid. That now looks to be all behind him and he is now targeting a return to action before the end of the month with his eye on the Reserves game against the Oldham second-string at Turf Moor on the night of Tuesday 29th March.
Eddie Howe whilst obviously not wanting to rush things said recently before the Hull game last week:
"Chris McCann trained fully, which was really pleasing from our point of view to see him out on the training pitch,
"He's going to need a little bit of time but that was his first session with us after being on grass for a while with the physio.
"We're delighted he's making the progress he is and hopefully he'll be available again soon.
"I think he's pleased, like any player who's been out for such a long time. That first session does give you a huge boost and you can't wait to get it out of the way. Hopefully we'll see him back playing soon, but we can't put a date on it yet."
Good luck, Chris and let`s hope we can see you in action for the first team before the summer break.
Youth Team Go Top of League!
The Clarets youth team are now proudly sitting at the top of the Youth Alliance North West Conference table following their 2-1 win over Shrewsbury Town at Gawthorpe on Saturday. They have 34 points from 17 games and are now ahead of second-placed Rochdale on goal difference (plus 4 to the good!) and seem to be in a three-horse race to win the title with Port Vale also pressing hard.