Date:Saturday June 12 2010
Speculation was rife last week that the Clarets faced competition from a number of Premier League clubs to sign Hearts winger Andrew Driver.
The 22 year old was reported to be one of Brian Laws targets with both STV and BBC Sport suggesting we had put in a £1.5 million bid for the winger.
However it is understood that Hearts want over double that amount. Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov is reported to have put a £4m price tag on their key player.
Hearts manager Jim Jefferies also stated this week that he was unaware of any bid for Andrew Driver by the club.
Jefferies told the Daily Record:
'Nobody has told me anything about a bid from Burnley for Andy or offers from any other clubs for that matter,'
'It may well be the case that an offer has been made, but it is news to me.
'I'm not saying that there has not been interest in the player because everybody can see that the lad is a great talent.
'Any offers for players will have to be discussed by the relevant football people including the manager.'
It then began to look even bleaker for the Clarets when it was reported that mega-bucks Chelsea were also in the hunt to sign the impressive winger. It was understood they would be willing to take him on loan for a period with a view to then making a permanent offer of £5 million. The speculation though appears to have been wide of the mark.
According to various media reports, West Ham, Wigan Athletic, Middlesbrough and Holland's FC Twente have been in contact with Hearts as well about a possible move despite denials by Jefferies.
At this point most Clarets fans had probably moved on thinking our interest was dead in the water but news today in the Lancashire Telegraph suggest otherwise.
It would appear the Clarets have doubled their offer to £3 million and are now in the DRIVER's seat to sign him!
The paper also writes that Operational Director Brendan Flood is believed to have been involved in discussions with Driver`s agent, and that a deal could be agreed as early as next week.
This could be a case of third time lucky afterall for the Clarets after two failed bids previously by former gaffer, Owen Coyle in previous summers.
Date:Saturday June 12 2010
Ginger One Earns Point, Special One Moans Minutes! (Monday February 23 2015)
More Sky Tinkering With Fixtures! (Monday February 23 2015)
Burnley Injury Table And Our Competitors Also (Friday February 20 2015)
The Special One versus The Ginger One! (Wednesday February 18 2015)
New TV Deal Challenge (Wednesday February 18 2015)
Just the Ticket-On the Saintly Road to Southampton (Tuesday February 17 2015)
Black February Continues at Old Trafford! (Sunday February 15 2015)
Massive New Sky & BT Premiership TV Deal (Tuesday February 10 2015)
It is only United, Burnley! (Tuesday February 10 2015)
Two goal lead lost again and draw not good enough! (Monday February 9 2015)
|15. Hull City||26||6||8||12||-10||26|
|19. Aston Villa||26||5||7||14||-23||22|
|20. Leicester City||26||4||6||16||-18||18|
» Everton : 26/02/2015 22:07:00
|Pulis - Safety First Then We'll Take Stock
» WBA : 26/02/2015 20:27:00
|Allardyce Looks Ahead to Palace Game
» West Ham : 26/02/2015 17:42:00
|Noble Pens New Contract
» West Ham : 26/02/2015 17:27:00
|Audio - Allardyce on 2022 World Cup Scheduling
» West Ham : 26/02/2015 17:19:00