Date:Thursday October 8 2009
The FourFourTwo.com Football Rich List 2009 has a new man at the top. The billionaire steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal, who has a stake in Championship club QPR, is the world`s eighth richest man with an estimated fortune of £18.4bn.
Mittal, 59, who lives in London, is already well-known to the Loftus Road faithful since he spent £200,000 purchasing a 20% stake in the club in December 2007 and has been tipped as a potential buyer of Flavio Briatore`s 54% in the club.
Number two in the list, now available in full at FourFourTwo.com, is Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan, the owner of Manchester City. Sheikh Mansour has funded the spending spree at City and last month took sole ownership of the club when he bought the final 10% of shares held by former owner Thaksin Shinawatra. The price was not disclosed but Mansour had spent £250m on buying his stake up until then and another £200m on players such as Robinho, Carlos Tevez, Gareth Barry and Emmanuel Adebayor. Mansour, who is worth £17bn, is the brother of the ruler of the oil-rich Abu Dhabi, the biggest of the United Arab Emirates.
Last year`s list was headed by Sheikh Mansour and Lakshmi Mittal was number two.
Bouncing back at number three is Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich who has seen his value increase by £800 million to £7.8 billion. Despite a costly divorce, the 42-year-old Russian still has a string of property, art and yachting assets world-wide.
Hugh Sleight, Editor in Chief of FourFourTwo magazine said: "Despite his enormous wealth, Mittal crept in under the radar at QPR because of the media focus on Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone. But the real financial power at Loftus Road lies with the Indian. It`s a signal of just how wealthy he is that even a small recovery in the economy can give him a £6bn bump.
'Foreign investors continue to be attracted to our national game despite recession, competition and the dubious money-making opportunities that investing in football offer. As a result, this is again our richest ever rich list with 19 new entries, a new number one and a combined value of £69bn. To make it into our list of the 100 wealthiest people in UK football, you now have to be worth at least £15m and, despite the talk of inflated player wages, that rules out all but a couple of handfuls of elite performers.'
THE TOP TEN FOOTBALL MAGNATES
The full top 10 is:
1) Lakshmi Mittal - £18.4m - QPR
2) Mansour bin Zayed Al Nayan - £17bn -Manchester City
3) Roman Abramovich - £7.8bn - Chelsea
4) Joe Lewis - £2.5bn - Tottenham Hotspur
5) Stanley Kroenke - £2.079bn - Arsenal
6) Denis O`Brien - £1.73bn - Celtic
7) Malcolm Glazer and family - £1.5bn -Manchester United
8) Bernie Ecclestone - £1.466bn - QPR
9) Alisher Usmanov - £1.3bn - Arsenal
10) Lord Grantchester and family - £1.2bn - Everton
THE TOP TEN PLAYERS
David Beckham is still in a league of his own when it comes to players in the FourFourTwo.com Football Rich List with a wallet-busting fortune of £125m. Chelsea and Manchester City have four players making the lineup.
FourFourTwo`s Editor in Chief, Hugh Sleight, said: "Beckham at number one won`t come as a surprise to anyone. The real story is at numbers 2 and 3 where Michael Owen is clinging on from Wayne Rooney. In 12 months` time, Rooney will have eclipsed his new team-mate off the pitch, just as he has on it."
The full top 10 is:
1) David Beckham - £125m - LA Galaxy
2) Michael Owen - £38m - Manchester United
3) Wayne Rooney - £37m - Manchester United
4) Rio Ferdinand - £30m - Manchester United
5) Ryan Giggs - £24m - Manchester United
6) Michael Ballack - £22m - Chelsea
7) Frank Lampard - £21m - Chelsea
8) Steven Gerrard - £20m - Liverpool
9) John Terry - £18m - Chelsea
10) Didier Drogba - £16m - Chelsea
THE TOP TEN MANAGERS
England`s World Cup qualifying manager Fabio Capello tops the list of managers in the FourFourTwo.com Football Rich List with a fortune of £30m.
1) Fabio Capello - £30m - England
2) Roy Keane - £27m - Ipswich
3) Sir Alex Ferguson - £22m Manchester United
4) Carlo Ancelotti - £17m - Chelsea
5) Sven-Goran Eriksson - £15m - Notts County
6) Arsene Wenger - £15m - Arsenal
7) Harry Redknapp - £10m - Tottenham Hotspur
8) Rafael Benitez - £9m - Liverpool
9) Martin O`Neill - £9m - Aston Villa
10) Mark Hughes - £8m - Manchester City
The Football Rich List Top 100 can be seen in full at FourFourTwo.com.
Date:Thursday October 8 2009
Anfield Beckons Now! (Tuesday March 3 2015)
Things looking bleak after home defeat to Swansea (Sunday March 1 2015)
Swans Fly to Burnley, Boyo! (Saturday February 28 2015)
Burnley Injury Table - The Walking Wounded List! (Friday February 27 2015)
Ginger One Earns Point, Special One Moans Minutes! (Monday February 23 2015)
More Sky Tinkering With Fixtures! (Monday February 23 2015)
The Special One versus The Ginger One! (Wednesday February 18 2015)
New TV Deal Challenge (Wednesday February 18 2015)
Just the Ticket-On the Saintly Road to Southampton (Tuesday February 17 2015)
Black February Continues at Old Trafford! (Sunday February 15 2015)
|15. Hull City||28||6||9||13||-11||27|
|17. Aston Villa||28||6||7||15||-23||25|
|20. Leicester City||26||4||6||16||-18||18|
|Stoke City V Everton Match Preview
» Everton : 04/03/2015 06:07:00
|Champions League Final Ticket Allocation
» Chelsea : 04/03/2015 05:00:01
|Bogarde Wants England Return
» Chelsea : 04/03/2015 04:00:01
|Cech Will Not Be Sold Cheap
» Chelsea : 04/03/2015 02:00:01
» Sunderland : 03/03/2015 23:03:00