Date:Friday September 25 2009
The two editors of Vital Spurs and Vital Burnley have got together and compared notes by asking each other a set of questions about our clash at White Hart Lane this Saturday.
Here are the answers provided by Martin aka Oxford Spur in relation to the questions set by Vital Burnley:
1. Are Spurs doing something different this season in terms of tactics and/or formation or do you have better players in the same roles?
Firstly I think the main difference is off the pitch. There is greater competition and the dressing room has lost much of its apathy. As a team I think we now have one system, rather than change the team to stop the opposition, we had under Ramos.
2. You started off at blistering pace but have maybe come back down to earth with a bump against Man U and Chelsea? Do you think you can compete with these Top 4 clubs this season and still cause a shock by finishing in Top 4?
Personally I have never felt we were a top four side and with Citeh`s zillions, the probability was that we would have to battle the likes of Villa for 6th. I am not surprised at losing to United or Chelsea who for me are the best two in the Prem. Our season will be about consistency against those below, including Liverpool and Arsenal, who will both finish higher than ourselves, but we have to look to them and City as the teams we have to catch if we are to achieve our CL ambitions, but at the moment I think we remain a little short, both in quality and certainly mentally.
3. What do you think about our start in the top flight for the first time in 33 years? Fortress Turf Moor v No goals or points away?
After last season`s Carling games, I have developed a liking for Burnley and wanted you to go up, for the teams attitude and playing style, which was a joy. Your start (at home) has been a dream and the longer it continues the greater chance you have to survive. I think to have any chance of staying up you need 25+ pts by the end of the year, but I also think that there are more clubs than usual who will struggle this season. I hope you get your points early before injuries etc affect your squad.
4. Is there a danger you could underestimate us again after the Carling Cup exploits last season? You will be desperate to get back on track in the League whereas the Clarets will want to win but it's not a game where three points are vital for us being one we wouldn't be expected to win. We could be more relaxed and you more anxious! How do you think it will pan out? Closer than your 4-1 last season at the Lane?
The Carling cup win in midweek will have done Spurs a lot of good and given them a lift. Last season`s result will if anything make us realise that we have to take you seriously as you are a very good footballing side, not a team who will look to sit tight or kick up out of the game. I thought we were greatly flattered by the 4-1 last season and thought you battered us for the first 30 minutes. Perhaps last time we underestimated you and you were the ones with the momentum of beating Chelsea and Arsenal. This time I think we will be wiser and you won`t have the element of surprise. I will go with a 3-1 win for Spurs, with David Nugent getting a goal for you.
5. What's the crack with the Spurs player that broke all Clarets fans hearts in the Carling Cup Semi last season? Roman Pavlyuchenko-me bobble? Is he out of favour now?
Firstly he is s doubt for the weekend with an Achilles injury, but we are really strong in attack, with Defoe, Keane and Crouch, so he has had limited opportunities. I think we would sell if someone met our valuation but at the moment he can hardly complain at not playing when others are doing so well.
6. Where do you think the Clarets will finish at the end of the season? Can we avoid relegation?
As I wrote earlier, I think your home form pre new year will be essential to how your season pans out. With the likes of Hull, Pompey, Blackburn, Bolton and the other two promoted sides, you have a fair chance to stay up and I hope you do. I am sure you would all take 17th now, but so would 5 or 6 others at the moment, so fingers crossed you will be safe.
7. Which Clarets player do you think will be the biggest threat on Saturday?
One thing I like about Burnley is that there are some very good footballers at the club, but also mixed with a few hearts of lions such as Carlisle and Alexander. I have always been a huge Robbie Blake fan and see him as a Teddy Sheringham type player, who gets better with age. I really felt for Martin Paterson getting injured and that he will miss so much football, I was really impressed with his energy last season, I only hope that David Nugent doesn`t feel he has a score to settle with Harry...
8. We beat Man U at home and you couldn't. Both Spurs and Burnley did equally badly at Stamford Bridge. Do you read anything into that or is it just a funny owd game?
Many thanks to Oxford Spur(Martin)for answering our questions and if you would like to see what I said in relation to the questions he gave me then nip over to Vital Spurs and take a look. Here is a direct link:
Another cosy chat with Vital Burnley.
Date:Friday September 25 2009
Everton 1-0 Burnley - Prem (Sunday April 19 2015)
Audio - Dyche On Everton Loss (Saturday April 18 2015)
Stats: Everton v Burnley (Saturday April 18 2015)
Vokes - We're Confident Ahead Of Everton (Friday April 17 2015)
Dyche's Unwavering Survival Belief (Friday April 17 2015)
Everton v Burnley - Team News (Friday April 17 2015)
The Burnley Injury Table - Walking Wounded List! (Friday April 17 2015)
Deals For Scholarship Quartet (Thursday April 16 2015)
Dixon Feels Team Spirit Will Do It (Thursday April 16 2015)
Audio - Dyche On Quality To Beat The Drop (Tuesday April 14 2015)
|15. Aston Villa||33||8||8||17||-21||32|
|17. Hull City||32||6||10||16||-16||28|
|18. Leicester City||32||7||7||18||-17||28|
|Szczesny & Santi On Reading Win
» Arsenal : 19/04/2015 15:00:01
|Wenger Credits Reading
» Arsenal : 19/04/2015 14:42:00
|Liverpool: FA Cup Semi-Final Team News
» Liverpool : 19/04/2015 14:17:00
|FA Cup Semi - Villa v Liverpool - Teams
» Aston Villa : 19/04/2015 14:08:01
|A Sterling Question?
» Chelsea : 19/04/2015 13:13:00