Vital Football

Latest Burnley FC News

Sunday's Rumour Mill-Nowt New Just Same Old Sagas!

Sunday's Rumour Mill-Nowt New Just Same Old Sagas!

The News of the World today suggests that the Clarets will have to fork-out double their offer if they want to secure the services of Owls striker, Marcus Tudgay

The player now seems to be in the middle of a tug of war saga between Owen Coyle and Owls gaffer, Brian Laws.

You can perhaps understand Laws bitterness over the approach by Burnley for a player he thought would sign a new three-year contract for the Owls.

Tudgay though has not put pen to paper after verbally agreeing to sign before going on holiday back in May. His agent is adamant that the 26 year old would like to talk to Burnley about a potential move and who can blame him when there is a chance to feature in the top flight of English football.

The striker though has only a year left on his contract and this could force Laws into a corner.

Clarets chairman, Barry Kilby has already made a £1.5 million verbal offer to the Sheffield Wednesday chairman for Marcus Tudgay which was turned down.

The News of the World however now suggests we will have to find £3 million for the Owls star forward and it will be interesting to see if Owen Coyle would be willing to pay that much for him.

Owen Coyle has confirmed though that he is still looking to strengthen his squad ahead of the club's first Premier League campaign.

He recently told Sky Sports News:

'We are trying to get one or two in,but other factors need to come together for that. One, the club has to accept there has been a bid and,two, the player has to be willing to join. We will continue, in a sense, to try to complement the squad that we have.'

The Clarets still look keen to sign Hamilton left back,Brian Easton and could be considering a second bid after an initial bid was knocked back.

Another of the Accies players, midfielder James McCarthy continues to be linked with the club despite a recent rival emerging to sign him. Wolves put in double our bid according to the media but so far there has been no movement.

Coyle said towards the end of this week:

'I spoke to Ronnie McDonald and made a verbal offer about James McCarthy - another kid I've known coming through. I think he's got potential to be a very good player. The kid's had one year in the Premier League in Scotland, I made a verbal offer to Ronnie on that basis that I thought was fair, with incentives if they're achieveable for Hamilton as a football club, and Ronnie felt they didn't match his valuation, and I totally accept that.'

Both Hamilton players it is understood want to come to Turf Moor but the saga for these signings looks likely to continue.

For the very latest Premier League odds

Click here to join in the debate on the club forum.

Date:Sunday July 12 2009
Time: 10:35AM


Just wonder now if we shall see any action before they embark on the US Tour soon later this month
12/07/2009 10:41:00
Hamilton have rejected a £2m offer from an English club for teenage Republic of Ireland midfielder James McCarthy. (Sunday Mail).Presumably Wolves?
12/07/2009 16:22:00
Also Hamilton defender Brian Easton will edge closer to a £300,000 transfer to Burnley this week. (News of the World)
12/07/2009 16:22:00
Twente Enschede boss Steve McClaren hopes a £3m offer will secure England Under-21 winger Andrew Driver from Hearts - £1m more than Burnley offered. (Sunday Times) Does say though on a Dutch website that this has been rejected by Hearts
12/07/2009 16:25:00
I would like a new left back got to admit. As for Driver, don't think he will go to FC Twente. If he wanting to get seen and move up to the England team he would be better with us. Then if he proves hes a good Prem player we'd sell him on for a profit.
12/07/2009 17:48:00
Page 1/1
  1. 1

Login to post a comment

Recent Burnley Articles

Who Makes Southgate's Squad For March

England manager Gareth Southgate has now confirmed his squad for the upcoming games in the month of March.

Who Makes Giggs' First Welsh Squad?

New Wales manager Ryan Giggs has now announced his first selection since taking the job on.

New Zealand Will Lack Wood This International Break

Having returned to fitness and scored three times in his last two appearances for Burnley having last appeared back in late December, it was expected Chris Wood...

Burnley Are Ready To Pop The Cork On A Great Season

Burnley are now officially on international break with no fixture set for this weekend and next being in action at the end of March, so as well as using the time to rest...

Burnley Archived Articles

Vital Burnley articles from

Site Journalists

Write for Vital Burnley
Write For Vital Burnley
Apply Here

Current Poll (see more polls)

West Ham MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Berg Gudmundsson0%
Sub - Wood17%
Sub - Vokes0%
ScoopDragon Premier League Network Sites
The Vital Football Members League
Latest F1 News
Latest Vital Boxing News
Vital Football Comment

Recent Burnley Results (view all)

Burnley Fixtures

Vital Members League Table

1.Grimsby Claret7
Write for Vital Football