Date:Friday June 27 2008
The Clarets have made their fourth signing in the summer transfer window and as widely predicted former Dundee United defender Christian Kalvenes is now a Burnley player.
Vital Burnley was the first Clarets site of the major networks to bring you the link.
Confirmation that he had signed was on the Official site yesterday with the only surprise being that it was an earlier announcement than expected after speculation that he would not complete the deal until after a medical early next week.
It was also expected that he would only sign a one year deal but it is now known that he has been offered a two-year contract.
Clearly delighted, Owen Coyle had this to say about his new left back who will take up the vacant Number 3 shirt:
'I am obviously delighted to have secured the signature of Christian, who I have naturally been aware of from my time in Scotland.
'I think he was the best full back in Scotland last year and, as he was available on a Bosman, we took the opportunity to try to lure him to the club.
'We had to beat off some serious competition, particularly from one major force in British football, so we are absolutely delighted to have him on board and look forward to working with him.
'Christian has played for some terrific clubs and he brings a lot of valuable experience.
'He has just turned 31, but he is supremely athletic and comfortable on the ball for a big man, so he will be a tremendous addition to the football club.'
So Kalvanes becomes the fourth permanent signing for the Clarets under Owen Coyle and all four have signed within five days fuelling specualtion of who might be next and how many more we might sign before the season starts.
One of those signings is Peruvian International goalkeeper Diego Penny and all Clarets fans will be hoping for some good news today with Burnley FC at a hearing of the Work Permit Appeal Board.
So who are the other possible candidates to become Burnley players?
Coyle has made it plain that Hearts will have to approach Burnley if they wish the Clarets to progress their interest further in winger, Andrew Driver. Hearts have turned down two Burnley bids and are understood to be holding out for a seven figure sum. Coyle will not however be making a third bid and the ball is firmly in Hearts court. It doesn't look like this deal will now go ahead with Driver himself dampening speculation this week on the Official Hearts site:
'The speculation about Burnley hasn't affected me.
'I haven't heard anything from the club or anyone else so just need to get my head down and keep working hard and get on with it.
'I'm still only 20, have loads of improving to do and am looking forward to getting back playing again after missing the last bit of last season through injury.
'I am a Hearts player and I want to concentrate on getting fit for the new season. I want to do the best I can in my career and want to improve as much as I can. If I can do that, then maybe the chance will come to play in England.
'Obviously it is a boost that someone is interested and shows I'm maybe doing something right but I just want to keep improving as a footballer.'
It is known however that Coyle is an admirer of this player and he is looking for another left winger so maybe there is still some hope that an agreement can be reached.
Another player who many Clarets fans would be excited about coming to Burnley is out of favour Celtic striker, Derek Riordan. We continue to be linked to this striker and bids of £750k-£1m may be enough to secure his services.
Blackpool continue to challenge QPR over the legality of their swoop for centre back, Kaspars Gorkss linked also to Burnley a couple of months back.
The Seasiders put in a formal complaint with the Football Association earlier this month accusing QPR of making an illegal approach for the 26-year-old.
Blackpool chairman Karl Oyston recently told told BBC Radio Lancashire:
'I am happy to leave the FA and the Football League to resolve this,'
'But if I've anything to do with it he would go to any club other than QPR.'
'QPR, in my opinion, have behaved really badly and it's probably as blatant as I have seen during my time in football,' he said.
'They just seem to refuse to follow the basic rules or think they are above the basic rules which of course they are not. We'll just wait and see how it turns out.
'I have spoken to Kaspars directly about all this and there have been other clubs coming in and showing an interest in him.'
Oyston however refused to confirm which clubs had shown interest and whether Burnley were still amongst them:
'I will not comment on rumours and this is the time of year when they are rife. Our players are back in training on 3 July so there's not too much time for people to do their business anyway.
'We'll just wait to see how the Gorkss situation unfolds and go from there.'
Another Blackpool player linked with a move to Turf Moor was left back, Stephen Crainey. However with the signing of Kalvenes this now looks less likely and a link has not been mentioned for some time.
One player linked a few weeks back was midfielder,Mark Kerr. However according to the Scottish Sun this week, Huddersfield may win the race for the out-of-contract Dundee United player.
Burnley are also believed to be maintaining a strong interest in Norwich midfielder Darel Russell.
The 27-year-old former Stoke City player, is also reported to be interesting Championship rivals Charlton and Crystal Palace and is valued at around £500,000.
There have not been any further names strongly linked with the Clarets in the media but Owen Coyle may well still have a few surprises up his sleeve. So after weeks of no definite signings, we have suddently reverted to the 'bus syndrome' with loads turning up all at once! It would appear we have a Number 1, Number 3, Number 7 and Number 10 'bus' now and only time will tell whether we will need to build a bigger 'bus terminus'
Date:Friday June 27 2008
Dyche & Heaton Talk Ahead Of Villa (Friday May 22 2015)
Heaton & Dyche On England Call Up (Friday May 22 2015)
Burnley's Season Finale Injury Table List (Friday May 22 2015)
Heaton Earns England Call Up (Thursday May 21 2015)
Hoos Leaves For QPR (Wednesday May 20 2015)
Supporters 2014-15 Award Winners (Wednesday May 20 2015)
Audio - Reid On Retirement (Tuesday May 19 2015)
Wallace Released (Tuesday May 19 2015)
Reid Announces Retirement (Monday May 18 2015)
Missed Opportunities For Trippier (Sunday May 17 2015)
|14. Leicester City||37||10||8||19||-13||38|
|16. Aston Villa||37||10||8||19||-25||38|
|18. Hull City||37||8||10||19||-18||34|
|Pearson - We Want To Say Thank You
» Leicester City : 22/05/2015 21:34:01
|Vardy Still Getting His Head Around England Call
» Leicester City : 22/05/2015 21:29:00
|Dyche & Heaton Talk Villa
» Burnley : 22/05/2015 21:17:00
|Stoke target free transfer Konoplyanka
» Stoke : 22/05/2015 21:17:00
|Berahino Can Move - Pulis
» WBA : 22/05/2015 21:03:01