Fans Team to head to Preston
SUNDAY morning sees the National Football Museum Tournament in Preston in which eight supporters teams will battle it out to become the Champions.
The tournament is held at Vernon-Caurus Sports Club and Burnley's first game will kick off at around 10:45am, a tasty local derby will open the event as the Clarets take on Preston North End.
The Groups and teams competing:
Preston North End
Barnsley F C
How the competition works...
1. Each game will last 30mins, 15mins each-way. There will be a two-minute half-time period.
2. Each team plays in a group, either Group A (who will be on Pitch One) or Group B (who will be on Pitch Two). There are four teams to a group, and each team plays each other once.
3. The top two teams in each group go forward into the cup competition, the bottom two teams in each group go into the plate competition.
4. If two teams are tied for a position on points, then the following will decide who finishes in the higher position.
If the teams are still level, then the position will be decided by the toss of a coin.
5. In the knockout phase of the competition, if two teams are tied at the end of the time period, there will be a period of ten-minutes extra-time (no Golden Goal), if the two sides are still tied at the end of extra-time then the match will be decided by Penalty kicks.
Burnley Team News:
Phillip Berry was due to be playing in the tournament, but due to illness has had to pull out, leaving a void on the left hand side of midfield.
Also missing out are Ged Isherwood, Lee Maher, Andrew Wilson, Mark Walton, Benn Taggart and Simon Walton, who have other commitements.
But the number of players missing out isn't worrying manager Kev Robinson: 'Whilst we have a number of players that would have got into the eleven out, this is another brilliant chance for those not considered regular starters to make an impact.
'I am confident that they will show the hunger and desire to do so, and that should see is through to a sucessful day.'
However Robinson admitted that Burnley's group wasn't an easy one but believes that his side is capable of beating anyone.
"Certainly not an easy group at all," continued the Burnley Fans' gaffer.
"But we have shown that we are more than a match for anybody. We went to the league champions Rochdale and played some amazing football for the first half hour.
"We won't be focussing on the opposition- this is about us."
Burnley go into the game with new a new Skipper in Scottish goalkeeper William O'Neill following the resignation of Darren Stephen.
But the young gaffer is looking for more from a few of the players travelling.
"One or two players have had a bad week and need to prove a point, whilst William will be desperate to impress as captain. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he takes on the responsibility."
The team that will travel to Preston: William O'Neill (Captain), Andrew Greaves, James Wynne, Martin Heys, Darren Stephen, James Bird, Ste Wynne, Sam Pritchard, Benjamin Murphy, Karl Kemp, Pete Davis, Ged Stephenson, Martyn Robinson, Tom Henderson and Richard Davies.
Want to go along and support the Clarets?
Follow the M65 right to the end, and take the second exit on the roundabout (straight on).
Go through one roundabout, then at the next take the first exit (left) into Carrwood Road.
Go through another roundabout (straight on, 2nd exit) then take the first right.
Take first left into Factory Lane and arrive at Vernon Sports Club.
Address: Vernon-Caurus Sports Club, Factory Lane, Penwortham, Preston, Lancashire, PR1 9SN.
Win FREE pizza with Vital Football!
Select your team and get 50% off if they score twice.