Spicer Signs for Doncaster Rovers
As expected. former Clarets midfielder John Spicer, released at the end of last season by Owen Coyle has put pen to paper and signed for Doncaster Rovers.
The 24-year old has agreed a two-year deal at the Keepmoat Stadium.
He therefore reunites with his former gaffer at Bournemouth, Sean O'Driscoll
'I'm delighted with the move,' Spicer told Doncaster's official website. 'I watched Doncaster play in the play-offs and I saw the way that they move the ball.
'Looking at the stadium and the facilities, I'm chuffed with the move.
'It's nice to come to a manager who knows you already and you know him and how he works, plus his strengths and my strengths.
'I know that he likes to play football and play the right way, which is the way that I like to play. Hopefully we can have a good two years together and a successful upcoming season in the Championship.'
I just hope with the lack of activity at the club in terms of new signings at the moment with many of our target bids being turned down, that we dont live to regret releasing John. I always thought he was an excellent squad player to have around although he did find it difficult last season to impress new gaffer, Owen Coyle.
Third Bid for Andrew Driver?
Owen Coyle could now launch a third bid for Hearts winger Andrew Driver after agreeing to sell Kyle Lafferty. Some media reports suggest he may already have put one in.
Coyle told the Lancashire Telegraph:
'He is a player we're interested in.
'He's an out-and-out left winger, who is 20 years of age and quick. I've been an admirer of his for years.'
It is understood though Hearts could well have a seven figure fee in mind before they might consider releasing him.
Nevertheless,the player does seem to have put the club under some pressure.
It was reported in the Daily Mirror on Monday that Andy Driver could be ready to ask Hearts for a transfer to set up a return move to England.
Kilby on the Lafferty Money
The big question is how much of the money from the Lafferty deal will Owen Coyle be allowed to keep bearing in mind the financial plight at the club with £4 million losses per year including last year and the predicted losses for 2008.
Speaking to the Official Site, we got some indication from Kilby on this aspect together with his thoughts on losing Lafferty and the agreed deal:
'We would naturally be sorry to lose Kyle. We had hoped he would develop here at Turf Moor and take his career to new heights, but sadly it looks like that is not to be. However, clearly his head has been turned by the approaches from elsewhere and when a player expresses a wish to leave we have to do what is ultimately best for Burnley Football Club,
'We feel this represents good business for a 20-year-old striker of potential and money from any deal will be made available for Owen to strengthen the squad
'But I feel supporters will also appreciate that we have to reduce our high ratio of wages to turnover, which is currently running at over 100%, as highlighted in a recent Deloitte and Touche report into football finances.
'No professional business can sustain those levels for long and therefore some of this money will certainly help to offset this and help to stabilise the club for the future.'
Make of that what you will, it's not clear how much money will be made available to Coyle but it sounds like a sizeable chunk might also disappear into the ether to reduce some of the losses