Date:Wednesday June 11 2008
A short update is provided below on the latest gossip surrounding players that could be coming to Turf Moor and one that might be going.
First of all we start with the one that could be going:
It had been reported in some of the media that Wolves had beaten both Rangers and Celtic to the signing of Kyle Lafferty. It had been thought that the offer of £2.25 million plus Stephen Elliott and Darren Potter had been enough to tempt the Clarets to sell. One paper even suggested Kyle was in the Midlands discussing terms.
The Old Firm bids also involved player-cash offers. Rangers threw in midfielder, Alan Gow and Celtic tried to tempt the Clarets by including striker, Derek Riordan, a known favourite of Owen Coyle.
Coyle had tried to sign the out of favour Celtic striker in the January window and had an offer of £500,000 turned down with Strachan putting a £1million price tag on his head. Rather excessive for a player that has spent most of the season struggling to get in the sixteen let alone play.
Celtic offered £2.5 million plus Riordan this time round for Lafferty. Rangers are believed to have offered less.
It would appear today though according to the Daily Telegraph that the Clarets have rejected all three offers, with none of them coming close enough to the valuation of £4 million put on the player by Owen Coyle.
Assistant manager, Sandy Stewart is quoted as saying the following:
'Kyle has two years left on his contract and he is a valuable member of our squad
'We would prefer to keep him but if he does leave then he will only do so if another club agrees to pay the going rate and, up until now, no one has come close to doing that.'
So it looks like this sorry saga is about to continue even though by now most Clarets fans want to see this come to a conclusion with most feeling that it's time for Kyle to go after his statements about club,gaffer and fans.
Right then so what about our rumoured targets?
This was a strange one with most Clarets fans wondering why we had been linked to a 38 year old defender when Coyle was trying to reduce the average age of the squad.
It is doubtful whether we had shown any interest but now it doesn't matter since it looks certain that Weir is about to accept a one-year contract with his current club, Rangers despite the club searching for a back-up.
The Clarets have had two bids turned down by Scunthorpe for this player. The striker clearly wants to leave the club and has had a transfer request also turned down recently by the Iron. Paterson and his agent though have been turning the screw in an effort to force Scunthorpe to let him leave the club.
Paterson believes he has no future with the Iron and states that the club told him they would not stand in his way if he wanted to remain in the Championship.
Speaking to the local Scunthorpe Telegraph, he said:
'I've obviously made it very clear I want to leave the club by handing in a transfer request.
'The reason that I did that is because when I signed, the club said if I did well then wouldn't stand in my way of bettering myself or staying in the Championship.
'I'm coming to the end of a year where I think I've done OK. I've not ripped up trees, but I think I've done well and that Scunthorpe have gone back on their word.
'I understand football and that the fans won't like my point of view and I can only apologise if people think I have disrespected the club. I hope they look at it from the point of view that I'm a young lad and very ambitious and I want to use the momentum I've had this year.
'I don't think I'm a player with unbelievable ability, if anything I think I'm a player that probably lacks a bit of ability, but I've always tried 100 per cent for Scunthorpe every time I've walked over the chalk.
'Last year I think I did well, but I'm nowhere near the player I should be and can be. I'm still very raw and need to learn a lot more. Hopefully the fans, when they look at it, will think that while I do want to leave the club, and I've made that very clear, I've worked hard and have earned the right to better myself.'
'I don't mind them rejecting bids to get what they want. But I harp on about, when I signed, the fact that they said they wouldn't stand in my way.
'And all I can do is stress the fact that if I stayed at the club I would be a player that was very unhappy.
'I don't know if I'd be in the right frame of mind to play next season, knowing that I could have gone to the Championship.'
The last statement says it all and will remind folk of the Andy Gray incident when he wouldnt wear his shirt with pride in the Coventry game knowing that Charlton were about to double his wages to secure his services.
Scunthorpe are on a hiding to nothing and it is only a matter of time before a Championship side secures his services. Cardiff and Norwich are also reported to be interested in signing the player.
Let's hope it's the Clarets that win this battle. We should now be able to tempt the Iron with bids in the region of £550-£900k. Scunthorpe turned down a January window offer of £850k from Norwich but then the Iron were still a Championship side and Paterson had no desire to leave. The cruel, hard facts of relegation are about to hit them!
The latest gossip suggested that Owen Coyle was in Spain last week securing the services of Peruvian International goalkeeper, Diego Penny.The keeper currently plays for Peruvian side, Coronel Bolognesi.A transfer fee in the region of £300,000 is being suggested, with Coyle making the keeper one of his top priorities.
There has been no statement at all from the club and maybe this is because the main members of the board were away in the US last week and Owen Coyle was completing his holiday before going to the Euro 2008 tournament. An announcement could be made once the paper work is complete and the South American gets a work permit. The latter should be a formality as the 25 year old has played regularly for the National side.
Blackpool defender Kaspars Gorkss now looks to be on the verge of joining QPR, after it was reported that Watford, Burnley and Preston were interested in signing the player.
Coyle's search for a central defender now seems to have turned to Marseille and former loan baggies defender, Bostjan Cesar.
The 25-year-old looks set to leave the French club this summer and it was reported over the weekend that we had a bid turned down.
Dundee United midfielder Mark Kerr was another name linked over the weekend but the Clarets face stiff competition for his services.
Coventry City, Doncaster Rovers, Leeds United and Leicester City are all reported to be interested.
So lots of reported activity but still to date no signings. Could this be the bus syndrome? Nothing for days then loads turn up all at once!
Date:Wednesday June 11 2008
Humiliating Horror Show at the Hawthorns! (Tuesday September 30 2014)
Baggies a Burnley Win? (Saturday September 27 2014)
Burnley Do Not Score But Also Do Not Concede! (Tuesday September 23 2014)
Burnley Eye First Win In Sunderland Game! (Friday September 19 2014)
Point at Palace but Penalty Paid! (Monday September 15 2014)
Clarets Target Crystal Clear at Palace! (Thursday September 11 2014)
Cisak and Conlan in Two New Deals for Clarets (Tuesday September 9 2014)
Burnley X-Files: Old Loans, New Clubs! (Tuesday September 9 2014)
Just the Ticket-Gunning for Pre-Sale at Emirates! (Tuesday September 9 2014)
Would Coyle Like Tangerines? (Monday September 8 2014)
|16. Hull City||6||1||3||2||-2||6|
» Stoke : 30/09/2014 23:22:00
|Sousa Admits Leaving Swansea City Was A Mistake
» Swansea : 30/09/2014 22:08:00
» Man City : 30/09/2014 22:00:00
|Liverpool: FC Basel Preview
» Liverpool : 30/09/2014 19:48:00
|Three-Month Wolves Loan For Sagbo
» Hull City : 30/09/2014 19:44:00